Sunday, May 31, 2009

Ode to a Casualty of the Move

Wow, the end of an era.

Today, after 6 years, I finally took down my "Free Ballard" bumper sticker. Also today, Archie McPhee's, that wonderfully insane store wherein I purchased the bumper sticker, moved its location from Ballard to Wallingford.

I've had it hanging on my bedroom door ever since I moved to New York City in the fall of 2003. For all that time, it's been there, reminding me of Archie McPhee's all the way back in Ballard. For all that time, I've had the pleasure of trying to explain the sticker's meaning to the foolish New Yorkers who just don't understand. For all that time, it's brought a smile to my face, knowing that I was helping to fight the silly fight.

Unfortunately, I now must leave this apartment, so the "Free Ballard" sticker came down. But I can at least take solace in the fact that I gave up the fight for a liberated Ballard on the same day that Archie McPhee fled for new environs.

Sorry Ballard!

No comments: