Saturday, May 30, 2009

You know you're too sensitive when...

Coming home this evening, I found myself once again on the crowded and odorous 1 train. Although I hate to diminish the wonders of that fast-moving tube, I have to admit I was playing my iPod in an attempt to drown out the surrounding reality.

The man who sat down next to me was doing a better job at the reality denial.

He walked over, deep in conversation. Apparently with himself. Or possibly with someone else of the invisible persuasion. Then he sat down next to me, kind of close. But, hey, it's the subway! Where it's socially acceptable to sit shoulder-to-shoulder with the sanity-questionable.

After a couple of minutes, he may have said something to me. Not sure, of course, because a) I was listening to my iPod and trying to ignore everything around me, and b) he had been conversing steadily with the air for several minutes at this point.

It seemed, however, that my non-reaction did not sit well with him. He paused and seemed to look a little sad or maybe angry. Then he abruptly got up and moved to the other side of the train, smiling and agreeing with himself that this move was for the best.

After a minute, all seemed to be right again in his not-right world.

I, on the other hand, kind of felt hurt that he'd rejected me.

No comments: